Today I was driving down 494 near Bloomington, MN and I was thinking about some of the best songwriters I know. I was thinking about what it is about them that makes them REALLY good songwriters. There are a few traits that kept popping up no matter who I thought about. So I thought I would blog about it
Here are the traits that I think make a great songwriter….
1. They write alot. – They don’t let their inner critic take over. They just write, then refine.
2. They ‘Steal’ from their influences – You can’t copyright a chord progession, and some grooves just work….Many writers I know, can take something they love, learn it, steal it and make it their own. (This doesn’t mean completely rip someone off)
3. They listen to alot of music.
4. They are not afraid to try new things, experiment
5. They keep a songwriting idea book with them at all times.
6. They practice their instruments alot.
7. They study the craft. – This means listening, analyzing, reading, and really getting into what makes songs work.
8. They do it because they love it, not because they want to make money – - Money comes after they get great.
9. They support other writers
10. They write alot…and they finish songs, even if they aren’t that great.
What do you think makes a songwriter great?